noun[treated as singular]
- A method of teaching people to read by correlating sounds with symbols in an alphabetic writing system.More example sentences
- The primary focus of our teacher's reading instruction was phonics and reading fluency.
- One class in particular is the Early Literacy class, which is well taught and focuses on phonics and other early reading methods mandated by the State of California.
- For reading, it's phonics, phonics, phonics, supplemented with literature when the kids are ready for it.
More definitions of phonicsDefinition of phonics in:
- The US English dictionary