Definition of phonograph in English:
1British An early form of gramophone using cylinders and able to record as well as reproduce sound.
- Early phonographs could record as well as play and were supposed to make recordings that would be sent through the mail, replacing written letters.
- And while unconfirmed in the credits, it is clear that the sound was recorded directly onto wax cylinders by an Edison phonograph.
- It is night in a tumbledown shack; an old woman in a rocking chair gazes at pictures of herself as a young opera star and, taking a draught of gin, she plays on an old cylinder phonograph the one surviving record of her voice.
1.1North American A record player.
- Peer was born in Kansas City and helped his father sell sewing machines, phonographs and recordings as a teen.
- Americans had sewing machines, phonographs, skyscrapers, and even electric lights, yet most people labored in the shadow of poverty.
- It makes us dream again that in some secluded corner an old phonograph recording is still intact on which the great preacher's voice may be heard!
- Example sentences
- The jury of Germany's phonographic award, the Deutscher Schallplattenpreis, recently honoured Suzuki's team for the 27th sequel of its recordings all of Bach's cantatas.
- Thus, with authorization from a Colonel Átila, whom he had to ask permission to leave town, Chico left Brazil in January and attended a large trade show for the phonographic industry held in Europe.
- Iap warned in a report presented at the seminar that the country's film-making industry and phonographic industry are declining rapidly and that his office is trying to reverse the trend by giving them aid and encouraging them to develop.
Words that rhyme with phonographparagraph
Definition of phonograph in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan