noun[mass noun] Geology
- A fine-grained volcanic igneous rock composed of alkali feldspars and nepheline.More example sentences
- South of the city of Isparta pyroclastic rocks are interbedded with rhyolite, trachyte, phonolite and lamproite flows (the Golcuk and Bucak Volcanics of Savascin et al.).
- In the Canaries, the lavas are much more compositionally varied in each of these stages, ranging from tholeiitic basalts to phonolites and trachytes.
- The dominant magma types are basalts and hawaiites, with lesser amounts of trachytes, quartz trachytes, alkali rhyolites and phonolites.
More definitions of phonoliteDefinition of phonolite in:
- The US English dictionary