- A quantum of energy or a quasiparticle associated with a compressional wave such as sound or a vibration of a crystal lattice.More example sentences
- This issue is related to the inhibition of carrier relaxation due to the selection rule of interaction between electrons and phonons in discrete energy level systems.
- The broadness of the excited-state manifold is probably due to the strong electron coupling to high-frequency phonons, very recently suggested by Ihalainen et al.
- The phonon energies are also quantized in a nanocrystal.
1930s: from Greek phōnē 'sound', on the pattern of photon.
More definitions of phononDefinition of phonon in:
- The US English dictionary