- A salt or ester of phosphoric acid, containing PO43− or a related anion or a group such as —OPO(OH)2.More example sentences
- Several formulations are available, and all are based on fertilizers such as urea, ammonium nitrate, ammoniated phosphates, potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate.
- Phosphoric acid and its phosphate derivatives are essential in human nutrition.
- It occurs in all kinds of minerals, such as oxides, carbonates, nitrates, sulfates, and phosphates.
late 18th century: from French, from phosphore 'phosphorus'.
More definitions of phosphateDefinition of phosphate in:
- The US English dictionary