verb[with object] chiefly Biochemistry
Introduce a phosphate group into (a molecule or compound): glucose is normally phosphorylated as soon as it enters the cell
More example sentences
- This flavoprotein is a serine-threonine protein kinase able to phosphorylate its serine and threonine residues.
- Following sucrose cleavage by invertase, the liberated glucose and fructose are phosphorylated before undergoing further metabolism.
- These kinases have various substrates and have been shown to phosphorylate such diverse proteins as transcription factors, metabolic enzymes, ion pumps and cytoskeletal components.
- More example sentences
- Cytochrome oxidases are the terminal enzymes of aerobic electron transport phosphorylation.
- In animal cells serine, threonine and tyrosine are the amino acids subject to phosphorylation.
- As expected, casein phosphorylation occurred on serine and threonine residues.
More definitions of phosphorylateDefinition of phosphorylate in:
- The US English dictionary