Definition of photic in English:
1Relating to light, especially as an agent of chemical change or physiological response.
- To characterize this photic entrainment we examined frq expression in constant light, under which condition the mRNA and protein of this clock gene were strongly induced.
- Furthermore, extraretinal photoreceptors appear to be involved in the photic entrainment of the circadian clock.
- They are therefore true deep-brain photoreceptors that bypass the eyes as a pathway for photic information.
1.1 Ecology Denoting the layers of the ocean reached by sufficient sunlight to allow plant growth: an average depth for the photic zone is about 100 m
More example sentences
- Seasonal highs that pushed this euxinic layer into the photic zone would then lead to the greatly increased preservation and the TOC maxima.
- Macroalgae benefit from this relationship because fertile drift plants are retained in the photic zone where they continue to contribute to the gene pool.
- The authors skimmed their bacteria samples from the top, or photic layer, of the Mediterranean and Red Seas.
Definition of photic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan