(Of a substance) undergoing a reversible change in colour or shade when exposed to light of a particular frequency or intensity: photochromic sunglasses
More example sentences
- When a photochromic material is exposed to light, the light absorption properties of the material change.
- Also, photochromic substances can be restored to their original state after being in the dark for a period of time.
- This reversible deprotonation and reprotonation causes the distinguished visible and fully reversible photochromic shift from purple to yellow.
- More example sentences
- Nagamura et al. have reported photochromism of the ion pair-charge transfer complexes of viologen derivatives with tetrakis [3,5-bis phenyl] borate as a counter anion.
- Investigations of the spiro [cyclohexadiene-indolines] revealed the photochromism to be highly solvent dependent.
- The wide interest for basic and applied research on photochromism in the last decade is well documented by two monographs.
Definition of photochromic in:
- The US English dictionary