Definition of photogravure in English:
1An image produced from a photographic negative transferred to a metal plate and etched in.
- By the 1880s, and the last two years of Darwin's life, virtually all that the public saw in published photographs and photogravures were his beard, his hat, and his eyes.
- Traditionally, photogravures have been small prints (8 by 10 inches or smaller), with a quality level higher than that of offset reproduction but lower than that of fine art prints.
- He couched the painting in the nostalgic language of loss and remembrance that would become the true motor powering its celebrity and devoted one of only twelve of the book's full-page photogravures to illustrating it.
1.1 [mass noun] The production of photogravure images.
- Also, it deals with digital images; photogravure; color printing; and preparing, making and painting an intaglio plate.
- Finally, several of Gornik's charcoal drawings, such as Roman Light, represent dark trees against clear, watery skies with a limpidity and directness that evoke landscape photogravure.
- He died in 1877, just as he was further perfecting the art of photogravure, and literally as he was writing up a history of his invention of photography.
late 19th century: from French, from photo- 'relating to light' + gravure 'engraving'.
Words that rhyme with photogravureabjure, adjure, allure, amour, assure, Bahawalpur, boor, Borobudur, Cavour, coiffure, conjure, couture, cure, dastur, de nos jours, doublure, dour, embouchure, endure, ensure, enure, gravure, immature, immure, impure, inure, Jaipur, Koh-i-noor, Kultur, liqueur, lure, manure, moor, Moore, Muir, mure, Nagpur, Namur, obscure, parkour, plat du jour, Pompadour, procure, pure, rotogravure, Ruhr, Saussure, secure, simon-pure, spoor, Stour, sure, tour, Tours, velour, Yom Kippur, you're
Definition of photogravure in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan