Definition of photomechanical in English:
Relating to or denoting processes in which photography is involved in the making of a printing plate.
- Beginning in the late 1890s, the new photomechanical process of halftone printing contributed to an astounding growth of illustrated mass-market newspapers and magazines.
- A knowledgeable bibliophile, he also assembled a collection of books utilizing various photomechanical processes that he eventually sold to the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
- Originally he worked in black-and-white, but he adapted well to the photomechanical colour processes that came in at the end of the 19th century and was one of the pioneers of the full-colour picture book for children.
- Example sentences
- It was photomechanically reproduced, in reduced size, in numerous pocket and paper editions of John Ball and sold for pence or pennies from London to Kansas.
- The photomechanically reproduced image of warp and weft represents both the privileged canvas and common textile.
Definition of photomechanical in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan