Definition of photoperiod in English:
nounBotany & Zoology
The period of time each day during which an organism receives illumination; day length.
- Canola seedlings were grown in chambers at 23°C, 50% humidity, under 16/8 h day/night photoperiods.
- Applying balancing pressure did not affect the growth of N-deprived plants except during the photoperiod of day 3 and the dark period of day 4.
- For enzymatic activities and sugar determinations, samples were collected at the middle of the photoperiod.
- Example sentences
- Leaves communicate photoperiodic signals to meristems, stolons and buds in flowering, tuberization and dormancy.
- Some songbirds modify their sensitivity to the usual photoperiodic cues that control breeding onset, such that photoperiod response thresholds differ between populations at different latitudes.
- To expose gametophytes to particular photoperiodic conditions, the bagged Petri plates were placed in a light-tight box over which was installed the fluorescent source.
Definition of photoperiod in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.