- A light-producing organ in certain fishes and other animals.More example sentences
- Eyelightfish have a blunt snout, a large upturned mouth, a deeply forked caudal fin, and a light-emitting organ, called a photophore, under each eye.
- Deep sea fish have organs called photophores which create a center for the bioluminescent reactions.
- Some, like fireflies, produce light in special organs called photophores.
late 19th century: from Greek phōtophoros 'light-bearing'.
More definitions of photophoreDefinition of photophore in:
- The US English dictionary