noun[mass noun] Botany
- A respiratory process in many higher plants by which they take up oxygen in the light and give out some carbon dioxide, contrary to the general pattern of photosynthesis.More example sentences
- Oxygen can also be reduced in the processes of photorespiration.
- It was suggested above that one proton was released in the chloroplast stroma for every three oxygen molecules fixed during photorespiration.
- It is therefore likely that photorespiration of herbaceous leaves is driven by a large carbon pool.
More definitions of photorespirationDefinition of photorespiration in:
- The US English dictionary