plural noun[treated as singular]
1The branch of technology concerned with the production of electric current at the junction of two substances.
- Technologies of photovoltaics, hydrogen and fuel cell development are more advanced, and a combination of technology and motivation could be harnessed to slow down the gas guzzling machinery that gives the country such a bad name.
- Solar-powered accessories make use of a technology called photovoltaics.
- Similarly, Congress ought to greatly accelerate research into photovoltaics and into electrochemistry for next generation batteries.
1.1 [treated as plural] Devices having a photovoltaic junction.
- Then the electricity from the photovoltaics will could be used to run hydrolysis reactions to produce hydrogen from water.
- Generating costs for electricity from photovoltaics range from 25 cents to $1 per kilowatt hour, which is extremely high compared to electricity generated by coal or nuclear power plants.
- Microturbines, fuel cells, photovoltaics, solar cells, and even conventional, small-scale generators have been improved in terms of lifecycle cost per kilowatt-hour.
Definition of photovoltaics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.