- Any of a group of red or blue photosynthetic pigments present in some algae.More example sentences
- Unlike any other flagellate algae, they contain phycobilins as accessory photosynthetic pigments, as do red algae and cyanobacteria.
- It is a fundamental metabolic pathway needed for biosynthesis of cytochromes, chlorophylls, phycobilins, and the corrin nucleus of vitamin B 12.
- A second group, the Dinophysis species, have plastids containing phycobilins and chlorophyll a + c.
More definitions of phycobilinDefinition of phycobilin in:
- The US English dictionary