- Any of a group of red photosynthetic pigments present in red algae and some cyanobacteria.More example sentences
- Red algae are red because of the presence of the pigment phycoerythrin; this pigment reflects red light and absorbs blue light.
- Cells were washed with phosphate-buffered saline and incubated with Becton Dickinson cocktails of antibodies conjugated to fluorescein isothiocyanate, phycoerythrin, peridinin chlorophyll protein, or allophycocyanin.
- However, not all ‘blue-green’ bacteria are blue; some common forms are red or pink from the pigment phycoerythrin.
More definitions of phycoerythrinDefinition of phycoerythrin in:
- The US English dictionary