noun[mass noun] Geology
- A fine-grained metamorphic rock with a well-developed laminar structure, intermediate between slate and schist.More example sentences
- It is composed of gneiss and migmatite that contain minor lenses of schist, marble, phyllite and quartzite.
- Foliated rocks may be slate, phyllite, or schist according to grain size.
- Clasts in this facies are commonly arranged into stripes of a single lithology (typically phyllite, schist, quartzite or marble) and show peaks in the angular and very angular classes.
late 19th century: from Greek phullon 'leaf' + -ite1.
More definitions of phylliteDefinition of phyllite in:
- The US English dictionary