noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- One of the K vitamins, found in cabbage, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables, and essential for the blood-clotting process. Also called vitamin K1.More example sentences
- After earlier research, a purified form of vitamin K, phylloquinone, was isolated from plants in 1939 and used to treat a nutritional deficiency characterized by decreased prothrombin levels.
- The best-known member of the vitamin K family is phylloquinone, also known as phytonadione because of its relationship with photosynthesis.
- The IUPAC-IUB Commission on Biochemical Nomenclature abbreviates phylloquinone as ‘K’ while menaquinone is abbreviated as ‘MK-n.’
More definitions of phylloquinoneDefinition of phylloquinone in:
- The US English dictionary