Definition of physics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
- One of the most contentious subjects in modern physics has been quantum mechanics.
- The subjects being offered include biology, computing, physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- He began by stating that patterns of energy are nature's basic information system and that physics is about energy and matter.
- String theory is supposed to contain the physics of the quantum behavior of gravity.
- It generates naturally within the model, tropical cyclones, as a result of the physics and the dynamics included in the model.
- At present this picture forms the focus of interest in the physics of elementary particles.
Late 15th century (denoting natural science in general, especially the Aristotelian system): plural of obsolete physic 'physical (thing'), suggested by Latin physica, Greek phusika 'natural things' from phusis 'nature'.
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.