noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A plant protein, especially that extracted from the French bean, that causes red blood cells to clump together.More example sentences
- Males were then subjected to a cutaneous hypersensitivity test by injecting their wing web with a lectin, phytohemagglutinin, which has a mitogenic effect on T-lymphocytes.
- Finally, a lectin found in raw kidney bean, phytohaemagglutinin, was found to reduce the rate of an NHL tumor in mice.
- House sparrows were injected 0.05 ml of 0.2 mg phytohemagglutinin (PHA-P) in one wing web and 0.05 ml physiological water in the other wing web.
More definitions of phytohaemagglutininDefinition of phytohaemagglutinin in:
- The US English dictionary