Definition of phytophagous in English:
(Especially of an insect or other invertebrate) feeding on plants.
- This possibility [that catnip may be a defensive substance, protecting the plant against phytophagous insects] was investigated by a series of simple experiments.
- Trade-offs exist when two physiological demands are limited by the same resource (e.g., protein in phytophagous insects).
- As important as behavioral and physiological alterations are as a means of circumventing toxins, direct metabolic detoxication is arguably the strategy which is the most effective and most commonly employed by phytophagous insects.
- Example sentences
- A feeding experiment was established to elucidate the extent of granivory and phytophagy among 24 species of insectivorous carabid beetles.
- Gut contents of Carboniferous arthropods, which include lycopod xylem elements and spores, are a tangible demonstration of phytophagy.
Definition of phytophagous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.