Definition of phytophagous in English:
(Especially of an insect or other invertebrate) feeding on plants.
- This possibility [that catnip may be a defensive substance, protecting the plant against phytophagous insects] was investigated by a series of simple experiments.
- Trade-offs exist when two physiological demands are limited by the same resource (e.g., protein in phytophagous insects).
- As important as behavioral and physiological alterations are as a means of circumventing toxins, direct metabolic detoxication is arguably the strategy which is the most effective and most commonly employed by phytophagous insects.
- Example sentences
- A feeding experiment was established to elucidate the extent of granivory and phytophagy among 24 species of insectivorous carabid beetles.
- Gut contents of Carboniferous arthropods, which include lycopod xylem elements and spores, are a tangible demonstration of phytophagy.
Definition of phytophagous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan