(also pinyon or piñon pine)
Definition of piñon in English:
1A small pine tree with edible seeds, native to Mexico and the south-western US.
- Pinus cemebroides, family Pinaceae
- They stopped for a late lunch on the banks of a trickle of river a few miles farther south, eating their sandwiches and drinking Orange Nehi in the shade of a piñon pine.
- The gravel road wound through stands of piñon pine and gray oak.
- Lying at 3,600 to 4,200 feet, Agua Caliente Canyon harbors mostly desert grassland and isolated stands of oak, while pinyon pine and alligator juniper are scattered on the surrounding dry, rocky slopes.
1.1 (also piñon nut) A pine nut obtained from the piñon.
- However, the pine nut trees of N. America are important too; the most important are Pinus edulis, P. monophylla, and the Mexican pinyon, P. cembroides.
- The loss of desert habitat is of special concern to local tribes who ‘gather pinyon nuts from the canyons for food and collect herbs indigenous only to [Cedar Mesa] for traditional medicines and blessing rituals.’
Words that rhyme with piñonaide-de-camp, aides-de-camp, anon, Asunción, au courant, begone, Bonn, bon vivant, Caen, Canton, Carcassonne, Ceylon, chaconne, chateaubriand, ci-devant, Colón, colon, Concepción, con (US conn), cretonne, don, Duchamp, Evonne, foregone, fromage blanc, Gabon, Garonne, gone, guenon, hereupon, Inchon, Jean, john, Jon, Le Mans, León, Luzon, Mont Blanc, Narbonne, odds-on, on, outgone, outshone, Perón, phon, Pinot Blanc, plafond, Ramón, Saigon, Saint-Saëns, Sand, Schwann, scone, shone, side-on, sine qua non, Sorbonne, spot-on, swan, thereon, thereupon, ton, Toulon, undergone, upon, Villon, wan, whereon, whereupon, won, wonton, yon, Yvonne
Definition of piñon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan