(in full pia mater)
noun[mass noun] Anatomy
- The delicate innermost membrane enveloping the brain and spinal cord. See also meninges.More example sentences
- These veins are found in the maternal part of the placenta, the spinal cord pia mater, retina, sinuses of the dura mater, most cerebral veins, trabecular veins of the spleen, and veins of the nail bed.
- The innermost layer is the pia mater, a delicate vascular layer adherent to the surface of the brain and spinal cord.
- Arachnoid and pia are also called leptomeninges (thin membranes).
- More example sentences
- Arteries carried in with the pial fold provide the choroid plexuses of the 3rd and lateral ventricles.
- In this section of newborn cerebellum (note the fetal granular layer), the arachnoid tissue in between the two cerebellar gyri is very cellular and the pial vessels are quite congested.
- Vasogenic edema from compressive ischemia, venous stasis or parasitization of pial vessels may also occur and can be extensive.
late 19th century: from medieval Latin, in full literally 'tender mother', translating Arabic al-'umm ar-raqīqa.
More definitions of piaDefinition of pia in:
- The US English dictionary