- A roll of perforated paper which controls the movement of the keys in a pianola or similar instrument, so producing a particular melody.More example sentences
- Students were asked to replicate select phrases of the performances while following the piano roll graph, either melody or accompaniment alone or both together.
- When the students played along with the artist's melody while following the piano roll score, they were able to replicate timing and dynamics.
- Many contemporary virtuosos created piano rolls, including Paderewski, Rakhmaninov, Rubinstein, Gershwin, Debussy, Mahler, Richard Strauss, and Fats Waller.
More definitions of piano rollDefinition of piano roll in:
- The US English dictionary