(US also piaster)
- A monetary unit of several Middle Eastern countries, equal to one hundredth of a pound.More example sentences
- The judge immediately ruled against him and ordered him to pay one hundred piasters to his wife.
- Fishermen no longer have to wait till the fish is sold to collect their money, he adds, and taxes have been reduced from 64 to 23 piastres per kilogramme: ‘The funds allocated to take care of the fishermen have also increased.’
- The government will continue to subsidise 80 octane gasoline, sold for 90 piastres as it is the main fuel for taxis and minibuses.
from French, from Italian piastra (d'argento) 'plate (of silver)'.
More definitions of piastreDefinition of piastre in:
- The US English dictionary