- Relating to an episodic style of fiction dealing with the adventures of a rough and dishonest but appealing hero: a picaresque adventure novel (as plural noun the picaresque) canonical forms of European literature such as the picaresqueMore example sentences
- Part science fiction, part picaresque, and part burlesque, its alphabetized entries gesture provocatively, giving glimpses of their source's unattainable body.
- Besides creating a literary genre, the picaresque novel, the book is like a mural depicting a society and an era.
- Juan's picaresque adventures in a wide variety of European contexts see him constantly dealing with disappointment and disillusionment.
early 19th century: from French, from Spanish picaresco, from pícaro 'rogue'.
More definitions of picaresqueDefinition of picaresque in:
- The US English dictionary