noun (plural same or pickerels)
1A small pike occurring in North America.
- Genus Esox, family Esocidae: several species, including the redfin (or grass) pickerel (E. americanus)
More example sentences
- They are E. americanus americanus, commonly known as the redfin pickerel, and E. americanus vermiculatus, known better as the grass pickerel.
- Other common fish inhabiting the pond were largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides, chain pickerel Esox niger, golden shiners Notemigonus crysoleucas, and fathead minnows Pimephales promelas.
- The skate was wonderfully tender and moist, and the Manitoba pickerel was a real delight - it's very delicate, so pan-frying is the right method for cooking it.
1.1chiefly North American Another term for wall eye (sense 2).
Middle English: diminutive of pike1.
Definition of pickerel in:
- The US English dictionary