1A wooden fence made of spaced uprights connected by two or more horizontal rails.
- We built a white picket fence around the front of the house to keep area cattle from rubbing against our porch supports.
- Windows open to an effusive flower garden, which is divided into quadrants by brick paths and enclosed with a white picket fence.
- Smith began by removing the picket fence and digging up the yard.
1.1North American A picket fence as a symbol of middle-class domesticity and contentment: we’d get a house with a white picket fence, and a dog, and have two kids
More example sentences
- But luckily I never gave in to an unexamined idealization of picket-fence happiness.
- There's a lot of weight to be carried at times, and the fact that its breezier moments never pacify but rather embolden its picket-fence jeremiads testifies to what a remarkable play the album is from start to finish.
- Over the past dozen years, I've had several boyfriends who were nice enough but didn't figure into my long-term, picket-fence dreams.
Definition of picket fence in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.