Definition of picket fence in English:
1A wooden fence made of spaced uprights connected by two or more horizontal rails.
- We built a white picket fence around the front of the house to keep area cattle from rubbing against our porch supports.
- Windows open to an effusive flower garden, which is divided into quadrants by brick paths and enclosed with a white picket fence.
- Smith began by removing the picket fence and digging up the yard.
1.1North American A picket fence as a symbol of middle-class domesticity and contentment: we’d get a house with a white picket fence, and a dog, and have two kids
More example sentences
- But luckily I never gave in to an unexamined idealization of picket-fence happiness.
- There's a lot of weight to be carried at times, and the fact that its breezier moments never pacify but rather embolden its picket-fence jeremiads testifies to what a remarkable play the album is from start to finish.
- Over the past dozen years, I've had several boyfriends who were nice enough but didn't figure into my long-term, picket-fence dreams.
Definition of picket fence in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan