Definition of pickings in English:
1Profits or gains that are made effortlessly or dishonestly: thieves found easy pickings in the underprotected bedsits
More example sentences
- It did not take him long to realise that much of the system of locum recruitment and payment was infected by barely controlled chaos and promised the dishonest rich pickings.
- But by warning people that burglars are on the prowl, it is hoped the criminals will not be able to take advantage of any easy pickings.
- Gas companies profit when oil prices rise, and face slim pickings indeed when times are rough.
2Remaining scraps or leftovers.
- From there they would get first pickings at the garbage.
- For those that fail, the remaining pickings may be small.
- Ive been out on several mini forays where many large families have obviously harvested there before me and the remaining pickings were thin.
Definition of pickings in:
- US English dictionary