Definition of pickoff in English:
1 Baseball An act of catching a runner off base, involving a sudden throw of the ball to that base by the pitcher or catcher: [as modifier]: a pickoff play
More example sentences
- No major league pitcher, to our knowledge. has ever matched his feat of retiring three runners on pickoff throws in one inning
- But then he made a crucial mistake, making a wide pickoff throw to first base.
- Every inning seemed to feature runners on base, full counts, pickoff throws, pitching changes, and breaks to go wake up spectators who may have dozed off.
2A device in the control or guidance system of an aircraft or boat which emits or alters an electrical, optical, or pneumatic output in response to a change in motion.
- The generating voltmeter and capacitor pickoff signal were quiet.
- However, newer systems have a pickoff located directly on the drive shaft, which makes optical devices less practical.
Definition of pickoff in:
- US English dictionary