- 1 Baseball An act of catching a runner off base, involving a sudden throw of the ball to that base by the pitcher or catcher: [as modifier]: a pickoff playMore example sentences
- No major league pitcher, to our knowledge. has ever matched his feat of retiring three runners on pickoff throws in one inning
- But then he made a crucial mistake, making a wide pickoff throw to first base.
- Every inning seemed to feature runners on base, full counts, pickoff throws, pitching changes, and breaks to go wake up spectators who may have dozed off.
- 2A device in the control or guidance system of an aircraft or boat which emits or alters an electrical, optical, or pneumatic output in response to a change in motion.More example sentences
- The generating voltmeter and capacitor pickoff signal were quiet.
- However, newer systems have a pickoff located directly on the drive shaft, which makes optical devices less practical.
More definitions of pickoffDefinition of pickoff in:
- The US English dictionary