A tiny tropical woodpecker with a short tail, found chiefly in Central and South America.
- Picumnus and other genera, family Picidae: numerous species
More example sentences
- Moreover, the number of transitions as a function of transversions appears linear over the range of nucleotide divergences represented by woodpeckers and the piculet.
- Small in size, the piculet ranges from 3 to 5 inches in length.
- The Fine-barred Piculet (Picumnus subtilis) is a species of bird in the Picidae family. It is endemic to Peru.
mid 19th century: apparently a double diminutive of Latin picus 'woodpecker'.
Definition of piculet in:
- The US English dictionary