Definition of piecework in English:
Work paid for according to the amount produced: workers did piecework at home [as modifier]: he was paid on a piecework basis
More example sentences
- By the 1930s, British factory owners had worked out their own variants of labour control which featured piecework incentives combined with the use of skilled labour.
- Taylor assumed that piecework incentives would discourage opportunism because workers would be motivated to maximize their earnings.
- It turns out that prevailing piecework rates worked out to less than the minimum wage, so it's hardly surprising that people didn't want to take them.
- Example sentences
- These pieceworkers are hired to perform work at a job site such as installing drywall or tape to a particular number of homes.
- Mexicans were horrified to learn that perishing inside those structures were hundreds of hyperexploited seamstresses and other pieceworkers crammed into more than 500 illegal sweatshops.
- He sees the writer beginning as a cultural worker, a pieceworker in a cottage industry, who must enter into a ‘fiduciary’ relationship with agents and publishers, middlemen, in order to find an audience and earn a living.
Words that rhyme with pieceworkneedlework • teamwork
Definition of piecework in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan