- 1Having or showing shrewdness or keen intelligence: her piercing analysis a tall blonde with piercing eyesMore example sentences
shrewd, discerning, perceptive, probing, searching, observant, penetrating, penetrative, sharp, keen, alert, intent, inquisitiveperceptive, percipient, perspicacious, penetrating, discerning, discriminating, intelligent, quick-witted, sharp, sharp-witted, shrewd, insightful, keen, acute, astute, clever, smart, incisive, knife-like, razor-edged, trenchant, subtle, quick, ready, clear, sensitive, thoughtful, deep, profound
- He does, and it's what leads him to some very fine insights and piercing analyses.
- His eyes were keen, their piercing gaze complementing the wisdom behind them.
- He leaves the piercing insights for another day though.
- 1.1(Of a sound) extremely high or loud: she let out a piercing screamMore example sentences
- It was a loud and piercing sound that filled the entire room.
- She covered her ears with the piercing sound of shattering glass.
- Jim followed, his eyes still watering from the piercing sound of that chair screaming across the hardwood floor.
- 1.2(Of wind or extreme cold) seeming to cut through one: the piercing cold of winterMore example sentences
- It snowed on and off all day and a cold piercing wind blew down the streets, along the canyons between the city's skyscrapers.
- Suddenly, the temperature made a drop from warm to freezing, as the plants around her froze and the gust of wind became a piercing gale.
- At night, I was awakened by the piercing wind and burrowed under the quilt to escape the cold.
- 1.3(Of a feeling) intense, typically in a distressing way: I recall one moment of piercing sadnessMore example sentences
- I yelled and wiggled, but I couldn't stop the piercing feeling from growing more intense.
- A painful piercing feeling went through my heart when she did that.
- She pronounced it with venomous, piercing rage, like a vulture pouncing on its prey, and then she threw her cup against the wall.
noun(usually piercings) Back to top
- Holes in parts of the body, typically other than the ears, made so as to wear rings, studs, or other jewellery in them: she had piercings in her nose, eyebrow, and tongueMore example sentences
- And off he strolled down the drive, the silver rings and studs in his facial piercings sparkling cheerfully.
- Avoid flashy jewelry and visible body piercings, such as nose or eyebrow rings.
- Daryl, who now sports 22 body piercings, said barely an hour after his ordeal that it had not been painful.
- More example sentences
- As Samuel Johnson piercingly observed, ‘Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier.’
- The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
- Neil has a piercingly direct focus and a generous smile.