- A picture or sculpture of the Virgin Mary holding the dead body of Christ on her lap or in her arms.More example sentences
- There's a warped pietà on the front of the mall, underneath which a grown-over inscription declares: ‘I Am the Resurrection.’
- Perfect as an allegory - the pietà, the sacrificial lamb - and yet so empathetically maternal, it gives warmth to the solemn poise of Bellini.
- From the agony in the garden, where Gibson begins, to the pietà at the foot of the cross, Jesus does what he teaches.
Italian, from Latin pietas 'dutifulness'.
More definitions of pietàDefinition of pietà in:
- The US English dictionary