- An African cuckoo which has a russet band on the upper part of the breast.
More example sentences
- Cuculus solitarius, family Cuculidae. Alternative name: red-chested cuckoo
- Other than a ‘piet-my-vrou ‘(red chested cuckoo) waking up at 5 this morning to shout, before it even got light, and my son's awakening at 5: 30 on a SUNDAY morning to ask if he could watch TV, it's been a good start to the week.’
- For example, the Cricket Board president said in the rural areas people knew the cricket season was due to begin when the singing of the piet-my-vrou was heard.
- Occasionally the tumult was punctuated by the shrill cry of East Africa's ubiquitous red-chested cuckoo: Wip wip weeoo, ‘it will rain.’
mid 18th century: from South African Dutch, imitative of the bird's three-note call.