- An instrument for measuring the pressure of a liquid or gas, or something related to pressure (such as the compressibility of liquid). Piezometers are often placed in boreholes to monitor the pressure or depth of groundwater.More example sentences
- Horizontal movement is measured by inclinometers, and multiple-point vibrating-wire piezometers provide information on groundwater pressure.
- The instrumentation includes various gauges embedded in the dam structure or installed around the dam body, such as uplift pressure cells, thermometers, piezometers, stress and strain meters, and coordimeters.
- Two piezometers were installed to measure groundwater levels.
early 19th century: from Greek piezein 'press, squeeze' + -meter.
More definitions of piezometerDefinition of piezometer in:
- The US English dictionary