1An edible dark red tropical pea-like seed: pigeon peas and rice and stew [as modifier]: pigeon-pea flour
More example sentences
- Popular Caribbean staples include pigeon peas and rice, and ‘callaloo,’ a dish made from callaloo greens, okra, salted pork, crab, and fresh fish.
- Peas with rice, a dietary staple, consists of dried pigeon peas and rice prepared with thyme and other spices.
- Be sure also to try ‘pelau’ buttery pigeon peas and tasty rice and try the desserts - ‘kurma’ and ‘sawine’.
2The woody Old World plant which yields pigeon peas, with pods and foliage that are used as fodder.
- Cajanus cajan, family Leguminosae.
- The farmers in the village grew ragi, cow pea, pigeon pea, green gram, jowar, horse gram and sesame.
- Sorghum and pigeon pea, for example, are grown as intercrops in drier parts of India.
- Rotation of potato, mint, rice, wheat and pigeon pea can bring double the profit.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pi¦geon pea
Definition of pigeon pea in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.