- 1North American A gambler who makes only small bets.More example sentences
- He had a temperament too generous for his occupation as our county's leading piker (my mother insisted to her clients he was a speculator, not a gambler).
- 2Australian /NZ A person who withdraws from a plan, commitment, etc..More example sentences
- There were a number of pikers to the dinner, including Mrs Lefty, who was stuck at work doing reports until about 9.30 pm.
- It seems rather apropos that everyone else found it too much hassle to enter - pikers!
- In terms of brutality, systematic repression, number of killings, relish for torture and sum total of human misery caused, he was a piker next to that tyrant.
late 19th century: from pike5.
More definitions of pikerDefinition of piker in:
- The US English dictionary