A rectangular column, especially one projecting from a wall.
More example sentences
- He began by adding a light Baroque facade with pilasters and massive fluted columns at the main, upper tier, topped by a balustrade with vases and statues.
- The four corners of the facades are accented with tall wooden pilasters, and the two identical front doors with semicircular fanlights are framed by pilasters supporting molded cornices.
- A presumably Jesuit ruin, all stone dentil cornices, capitals, pilasters and broken walls.
- More example sentences
- In its earliest guise the Winslow House was a two-story dwelling, gabled at the sides with three bays across the front and capped by a massive pilastered chimney in the most elegant seventeenth-century manner.
- Set apart by pilastered stonework, the top floor broke again with the established fenestration pattern by featuring six identical vertical windows.
Definition of pilaster in:
- The US English dictionary