Definition of pilaster in English:
A rectangular column, especially one projecting from a wall.
- He began by adding a light Baroque facade with pilasters and massive fluted columns at the main, upper tier, topped by a balustrade with vases and statues.
- The four corners of the facades are accented with tall wooden pilasters, and the two identical front doors with semicircular fanlights are framed by pilasters supporting molded cornices.
- A presumably Jesuit ruin, all stone dentil cornices, capitals, pilasters and broken walls.
- 1pilastered adjective
- Example sentences
- In its earliest guise the Winslow House was a two-story dwelling, gabled at the sides with three bays across the front and capped by a massive pilastered chimney in the most elegant seventeenth-century manner.
- Set apart by pilastered stonework, the top floor broke again with the established fenestration pattern by featuring six identical vertical windows.
Words that rhyme with pilasterAntofagasta, aster, Astor, canasta, Jocasta, oleaster, pasta, piastre (US piaster), poetaster, Rasta, Zoroaster
Definition of pilaster in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.