Definition of piledriver in English:
1A machine for driving piles into the ground.
- Katrin grabbed a cot from downstairs and set it up in the middle of the piledriver.
- Most days of the week, the sound of piledrivers is at near-deafening levels outside St. Paul's Convent School in the Causeway Bay business district of Hong Kong.
- On the far side of this broad stretch of water jackhammers and piledrivers rattle away on a swathe of residential development around the new Dockland Museum.
1.1British informal A forceful act, blow, or shot: Varney’s last-minute winning piledriver
More example sentences
- Flynn audaciously attempted a piledriver on goal but his shot rebounded off the defender to Miller whose second shot was brilliantly saved by Cummins and cleared.
- Wits nearly doubled the lead when a long ball from Roberts found Leonard Casner who immediately unleashed a piledriver which ripped the upright.
- I struggle to my knees and Nettie leaps into the air and comes down hard with a piledriver to the back of my neck.
- 1piledriving noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- I don't mean to come down too hard, because they still know how to deliver a good piledriving riff.
- A spokesman for Bradford Council said: ‘We are currently in negotiation with the developer's solicitors to try to reduce the impact piledriving is having on neighbours in Grange Close.’
- It's a mood reflected in a set of lyrics that grapple with the doubts and regrets of middle age - as Mould laments on the piledriving opener ‘Circles,’ ‘my circle of friends is shrinking’.
Words that rhyme with piledriverskydiver • slave-driver
Definition of piledriver in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.