Definition of piledriver in English:
1A machine for driving piles into the ground.
- Katrin grabbed a cot from downstairs and set it up in the middle of the piledriver.
- Most days of the week, the sound of piledrivers is at near-deafening levels outside St. Paul's Convent School in the Causeway Bay business district of Hong Kong.
- On the far side of this broad stretch of water jackhammers and piledrivers rattle away on a swathe of residential development around the new Dockland Museum.
1.1British informal A forceful act, blow, or shot: Varney’s last-minute winning piledriver
More example sentences
- Flynn audaciously attempted a piledriver on goal but his shot rebounded off the defender to Miller whose second shot was brilliantly saved by Cummins and cleared.
- Wits nearly doubled the lead when a long ball from Roberts found Leonard Casner who immediately unleashed a piledriver which ripped the upright.
- I struggle to my knees and Nettie leaps into the air and comes down hard with a piledriver to the back of my neck.
piledriving noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- I don't mean to come down too hard, because they still know how to deliver a good piledriving riff.
- A spokesman for Bradford Council said: ‘We are currently in negotiation with the developer's solicitors to try to reduce the impact piledriving is having on neighbours in Grange Close.’
- It's a mood reflected in a set of lyrics that grapple with the doubts and regrets of middle age - as Mould laments on the piledriving opener ‘Circles,’ ‘my circle of friends is shrinking’.
Words that rhyme with piledriverskydiver • slave-driver
Definition of piledriver in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan