Definition of pillow in English:
1A rectangular cloth bag stuffed with feathers or other soft materials, used to support the head when lying or sleeping.
- At night you sleep on the softest pillow ever, and both sides of the pillowcase are cool.
- My bed was also round, with many feather pillows and the softest mattress around, since my mother was a weaver.
- The blankets were shredded, as were the pillows, the feather stuffing strewn everywhere.
1.1 short for lace pillow.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Rest (one’s head) as if on a pillow: his head was pillowed on his arm
More example sentences
- Karl was sitting with his legs stretched out and crossed, Tom had his legs stretched out and his arms pillowing his head against the wall, and Michael was sitting with his arm resting on his right knee, and his left leg stretched out.
- Yuko shifted position so she was lying on her back, legs crossed at the ankles, arms pillowing her head.
- Sakura's head was pillowed on her arms, folded across the table.
- Example sentences
- They long for pillowy breasts, lightly padded hips and neat little waists.
- Homemade cheese curds, pillowy and sweet, round out the cardiac catastrophe, and I mean that in the best possible way.
- The seafood pancake feeds two and is bursting with octopus, bay shrimp, scallions, and the pillowy weight of eggs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan