verb[no object] Baseball
Substitute for another as a base runner, typically at a critical point in the game: Combs was supposed to pinch-run in the 12th
More example sentences
- In one game, with runners on first and second base, Alvin Dark sent Washington in to pinch-run at first base.
- Henson made his major-league debut on Thursday, pinch-running for Bernie Williams in the 8th inning.
- You can pinch-run a slow guy and hell steal a base.
- Example sentences
- His pinch-runner doesn't score, and the Yanks lose the game and the series.
- Five of those six appearances were as a pinch-runner and one as a defensive replacement.
- His meager bat means he will probably just be a pinch runner in 2014.
Definition of pinch-run in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.