Definition of pinch-run in English:
verb[no object] Baseball
Substitute for another as a base runner, typically at a critical point in the game: Combs was supposed to pinch-run in the 12th
More example sentences
- In one game, with runners on first and second base, Alvin Dark sent Washington in to pinch-run at first base.
- Henson made his major-league debut on Thursday, pinch-running for Bernie Williams in the 8th inning.
- You can pinch-run a slow guy and hell steal a base.
- Example sentences
- Hernand got his own milestone in the bottom of the eighth, stroking a single to right for his first major-league hit, then yielding to pinch-runner Alfonso.
- On May 5, the A's decided they could no longer afford to carry three pinch-runners.
- If he sticks long-term with the Yankees, which won't be easy given New York's current flock of outfielders, it figures to be as a pinch-runner in late-inning situations.
Definition of pinch-run in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan