Definition of pineapple in English:
- These consumers ‘customize’ Kool-Aid by adding oranges, grapes, pineapples, fruit juice, and club soda.
- Exotic foods such as potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, pineapples - fruits and vegetables of the New World, were unknown here.
- Fruit such as pineapples, coconuts, oranges, mangoes, bananas, apples, and lychees are subject to seasonal availability.
- Ananas comosus, family Bromeliaceae
- Atrazine is mainly applied to corn and soybean crops, but is also used on sorghum, sugarcane, pineapple, turf grass, and Christmas tree farms.
- Other species of Phytophthora destroy eucalyptus, avocado, pineapples, and other tropical crop plants.
- In the lush green foothills above town, I'd found every incline, even a slope that seemed too steep to climb, cultivated with longan, lychee, pineapple, betel nut or banana.
- He said the explosive was among three pineapple grenades and a mortar found by local residents over the past month, with the most recent discovery taking place on July 8.
- A second fighter then emerged, a pineapple grenade in each hand, with pins already pulled.
- Some weapons need a bit more consideration, for example, the pineapple grenade.
The Latin pinus ‘pine tree’ had given the word for a pine tree to Old English, and originally a pine apple was the fruit of the pine tree, what we would now call a pine-cone. When the pineapple fruit was introduced in the early 17th century the overall shape and the segmented skin was felt to resemble a pine-cone and the name was transferred to it. See also grenade, pain
the rough end of the pineapple
- Australian informal A situation in which someone receives unfair or harsh treatment.Example sentences
- But it's the second tier of workers that feel the rough end of the pineapple in the drive to keep down the cost of staff, and the cost of benefits like sick leave, holidays and superannuation.
- While free to air viewers get the rough end of the pineapple, but remain as loyal as ever, the National Football League on cable TV continues to be a runaway ratings winner.
- The workers, so far from being emancipated, would continue to get the rough end of the pineapple, as they had from the beginning of time.
Definition of pineapple in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.