noun (plural pingos)Geology
- A dome-shaped mound consisting of a layer of soil over a large core of ice, occurring in permafrost areas.More example sentences
- What's left behind are new surfaces: kettle moraines, outwash plains, pingos, scoured barren grounds.
- Less widespread, but equally distinctive, are ice-cored mounds, or pingos.
- The review by Watson of the periglacial environment in Britain concluded that continuous permafrost was present long enough for widespread formation of features such as ice wedges and pingos.
1920s: from Inuit pinguq 'nunatak'.
More definitions of pingoDefinition of pingo in:
- The US English dictionary