1Conjunctivitis in humans and some livestock.
- The daycare has gently reminded me that pink eye is a stay-at-home-sickness which usually lasts about a week.
- By her own admission, she's already given everyone pink eye.
- Touching your eye with germy fingers is a great way to get a cold or nasty eye infection such as pink eye.
2A viral disease of horses, symptoms of which include fever, abortion, and redness of the eyes.
- The virus belongs to the genus Arterivirus
- The horse disease known as "pink eye" has at last reached this city, and is causing the street railroad company especially a great deal of inconvenience.
- The medicine is successfully used with quick healing results for Pink Eye and conjunctivitis in horses and cattle.
- Pink eye in horses is more serious than in humans and can easily lead to blindness.
Late 19th century: from Aboriginal pinkayi, from pinka 'hunting'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.