Definition of pinstripe in English:
1A very narrow stripe in cloth, especially of the type used for formal suits.
- Also very summery are the whitewashed pastel cotton pants, bold cotton stripes and abstract floral prints and pinstripes on denim, cotton satin and viscose stretch fabrics.
- There was stuff for the men too - from the biker look to the retro pinstripes and blazer stripes and also denim.
- Herringbone, pinstripe and houndstooth are everywhere too, adding a classic look to the winter collection which is expected in the shops this month.
1.1A suit made of pinstripe cloth: a double-breasted navy pinstripe
More example sentences
- This year's collection from Libra features neatly tailored trouser suits - classic pinstripes for day wear, and satin panelling for after six.
- Looks this season include serious pinstripes and classic business suits in plain wool fabrics.
- I turned to see a man on the pavement, all suited up in pale pinstripes and cravat, battered Bible in his right hand.
- Example sentences
- Try a lighter, linen jacket with a floral camisole and pinstriped pencil skirt to the knee.
- We'll prepare for our June 5 Belmont Stakes Smarty party by practicing our mint julep mixing and trying on our natty pinstriped sportswear.
- As we were wandering down the aisles, we found these nice pinstriped sports jackets, and I told him to try it on to see how he looks in stripes - hopefully better than his current jacket.
Definition of pinstripe in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia