Definition of pintail in English:
1A mainly migratory duck with a pointed tail.
- Genus Anas, family Anatidae: three species, in particular the northern pintail (A. acuta) of Eurasia and North America, the male of which has boldly marked plumage and two long tail streamers
- Its skies were often darkened by blizzards of snow geese and immense flocks of great blue herons, swans, diving ducks, terns, pintails, mallards, Canada geese, osprey, bald eagles and more.
- Nestled in the hills of California's San Joaquin Valley, a tranquil pond invites flocks of ruddy ducks, pintails, and shovelers to feed at its shores.
- At certain times there can be a million birds in front of you consisting of sandhill cranes, snow geese, cackling geese, white-fronted geese, pintails, wigeons and mallards.
1.1 informal Any of a number of other birds with long pointed tails, especially (US ) a grouse.
- As long as water existed nearby for resting, birds like Canada geese, widgeon, and pintails often thrived in the irrigated countryside.
- The 2.56 million pintails could be used to justify allowing harvest of the birds over the whole duck season instead of just 39 days.
- One of the most widely distributed ducks in the world, the pintail is a medium-sized duck with slender, elegant body lines.
Words that rhyme with pintailpigtail • bristletail
Definition of pintail in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.