chiefly North American
Definition of pinwheel in English:
1A small firework resembling a Catherine wheel.
- As the first pinwheel of light burst, the sparks seemed to race forward to capture Emily.
- As usual, we lashed firecrackers and pyrotechnics to the frame, stuffed a mortar in its mouth, and added a blazing pinwheel for the beast's eye.
- We are near the edge of the pinwheel so we move pretty quickly.
1.1Something shaped or rotating like a pinwheel.
- In it, two pinwheels of triangles are set inside the curves of a large horizontal S shape.
- Roadmap-patterned wallpaper lined the elevator's interior, and an array of pinwheels and movable disk sculptures were laid out on shelves.
- They do things that Streb finds real - moves called dominoes, slices, ex-flips, inside-outs, sparkles, pinwheels, sidelines, and slams.
verb[no object] Back to top
Spin or rotate like a pinwheel: his car pinwheeled into a barrier
More example sentences
- But to visit in the spring or fall, when millions of birds are pinwheeling through the heavens, is to realize that there are other, much older claims here, too.
- Threatening or dishonest telegrams, or anonymous notes pushed under the door, set several plots pinwheeling.
- She pinwheeled end-over-end and out of sight as I hopped up and down, holding my right foot and grimacing like Oliver Hardy.
Words that rhyme with pinwheelflywheel • gearwheel
Definition of pinwheel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.