1A person who is among the first to explore or settle a new country or area.
- The decision came a month before the start of the Winter Olympics in Utah and can be expected to put the spotlight on plural marriages that once thrived among Mormon pioneers who settled here.
- Those astronauts who died were explorers, pioneers and the last of the frontiersmen.
- What if the pioneers had settled America from west to east - from California toward the Atlantic - instead of the other way around?
1.1A person who is among the first to research and develop a new area of knowledge or activity: a famous pioneer of birth control
More example sentences
- Anaesthesiologists have been pioneers in developing and applying patient simulators for research and training.
- Dr. Goldson was a pioneer in developing cancer-fighting treatments.
- Born in Hungary in 1879, Rudolph Laban was a pioneer in developing the academic and scientific aspects of dance.
1.2(In the former Soviet Union and other communist countries) a member of a children’s movement that aimed to foster communist ideals.
- The Pioneer movement was in fact, if not officially, controlled by the Communist Party.
- Pioneers swear in fidelity to the Communist Party and Lenin.
- In the preparation of Pioneers for the construction of communism and the defense of the socialist homeland the military games occupy a relevant place
1.3A member of an infantry group preparing roads or terrain for the main body of troops.
- First and foremost, assault pioneers are infantrymen.
- The idea of combining different arms was not new but for the sappers and the pioneers there were significant lessons learned throughout the deployment as a joint group.
- Artilleryman, medics, pioneers and mortarmen, were all needed and eager Diggers stepped forward to fill the ranks.
1.4(In Ireland) a member of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association, a Catholic temperance society.
- The Raheen branch of the pioneer total abstinence association have planned a summer outing for members for Sunday, July 27.
- The big talking point in Raheen at the moment is the local pioneers total abstinence association summer outing which will take place on Sunday, June 25.
- Four sections are eligible to take part provided they are members of the pioneer association.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity): the technique was pioneered by a Swiss doctor in the 1930s
More example sentences
- Mr Budge said he would overcome the geological problems with so-called retreat mining, a technique successfully pioneered at Selby.
- Against opposition from Technicolor labs, Cardiff also successfully pioneered the use of fog filters on Black Narcissus.
- The superbly organized anti-slavery committee also pioneered several techniques used ever since.
develop, introduce, evolve, start, begin, launch, instigate, initiate, put in place, take the initiative in, take the lead in, spearhead, institute, establish, found, give birth to, be the father/mother of, originate, set in motion, create, open up, lay the groundwork for, lead the way for, prepare the way for, lay the foundations of;
Words that rhyme with pioneeradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
Definition of pioneer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan